¤ Home » Help & Support » Domain » TLD wise Registry Rules » .US Domain
.US Domain Name Rules/Requirements
The following regulations must be followed while registering a .US domain name:
Name Server restrictions
- It is mandatory to mention at least 2 Name Servers during Registration.
- These Name Server IP Addresses should be registered in the United States of America (USA).
While providing Contact details for .US domain names, you would be asked to specify the Nexus Information, which pertains to:
- Application Purpose: Whether the domain name being registered is for Business use (Profit/Non-profit), Personal use, etc.
- Nexus Category: Whether the person registering the domain name is a resident/citizen of the United States of America, or the domain name is registered for an organization based in the United States of America, or having an office or facility therein.
Domain Names containing offensive words
Certain abusive or bad words and phrases are not allowed in any .US domain name.
Other Name restrictions
Domain names satisfying the following categories are reserved:
- All domains of any length beginning with 18XX or 1-8XX or 8XX, where X is any number from 0 to 9 (both 0 and 9 being inclusive).
Example: 1800abc.us, 812abc-def.us, 1-805-999-9999.us
- All domains beginning with NXX or 1NXX or 1-NXX followed by exactly seven numbers not including hyphens, where N is any number from 2 to 9 (both 2 and 9 being inclusive) and X is any number from 0 to 9 (both 0 and 9 being inclusive).
Example: 12-999-9999.us, 19009998888.us, 1-212---1-2-3-4-5-6-7--.us
- All domains beginning with XXXXX, where X is any number from 0 to 9 (both 0 and 9 being inclusive).
Example: 20176.us, 90210-Melrose.us
Furthermore, some other .US domain names have been reserved by the .US Registry.